Sunday, February 12, 2012

Perfected Autobiographical Styles

There seems to be a major point of conjecture that people don't understand: People are never fully right. Even in saying that I will have discrepancies but for the most part this will always hold true. If a person is fully in the belief that they are right, then they are definitely wrong. It's a nice little paradox that keeps me honest with my dealings with others.
There are times when small truths will hold fast (this is not healthy, this much will probably kill you, leprechauns don't exist, my favorite color is blue, it rains in the spring) but these will not always be the case and should not be relied upon when proven otherwise. A set of strongly held convictions about how the world works generally define people, and when they are brought under scrutiny we tend to break down just a little bit (He always loved me, but I'm good at math, she wouldn't say that, two plus two normally equals four, I'm used to disappointment) and that's alright.
Actually it's more than alright, it's good. As long as we don't break down completely and we fight for what we still believe in: we will be better for it. Now, this will often form new beliefs that might break in the future, but that's alright as well. We need these half truths and generalizations to prevent us from mulling over the whole of creation every second. It is only when we refuse to see the errors in our reasoning that we run into problems.
It is not what we believe in that defines us, not really. It is how we react when we are forced to see the errors in our beliefs. Interaction with those people that are outside of our belief system is good and shapes us, and the more often we have our beliefs and convictions broken, the better we become at dealing with it (generally).
Humans are really messy (almost as messy as the thought pattern in this post), but if we wait until we agree with people to like them, then you will be sorely limited in your growth as unique individual (which humans are both utterly unique and extremely similar when you look closely (figure that one out)).
I'm not sure where I'm really going with this, but honestly judge people by their intentions rather than what they actually do. Good intentions mean more than good actions and always will in my book. I'd rather have someone that means well than someone who intends poorly.

Looking at this post I realize how much of a hippy I sound like. Seriously, just be nice to people if they mean well.

So good luck understanding that one because I'm going back to studying. (AKA I need to stay off of quotation sites when I should be managing Microbial Ecology and Eukaryotic Cell Biology)

No comments:

Post a Comment